Saturday, July 13, 2024
- Advertisement -
More

    Latest Posts

    Seven reporter Robert Ovadia ‘sacked’ after allegations of inappropriate behaviour

    Seven journalist Robert Ovadia says he has been sacked after an internal investigation was conducted into allegations of inappropriate behaviour. 

    In an interview with The Australian, the Sydney-based crime reporter confirmed he had been fired after 23 years with the network.

    “Yes I’ve been sacked and there will be more to say about that in the appropriate forum at the appropriate time,” Ovadia told The Australian.

    The ABC states Ovadia has sought legal advice from high-profile lawyer John Laxon over the matter.

    Ovadia stated before his sacking that any allegation he had behaved inappropriately is false and will be defended.

    Seven has been contacted for comment.

    Ovadia’s exit is the lastest in a number of senior staff departures for Seven in the past month. Craig McPherson stepped down after Seven’s Spotlight program became embroiled in Bruce Lehrmann‘s failed defamation battle against 10 and Lisa Wilkinson. Replacing him in April was Anthony De Ceglie, appointed Seven West Media’s new director of news and current affairs.

    In the wake of ex-Spotlight producer Taylor Auerbach‘s evidenceEP Mark Llewellyn also left the network.

    Also in April, Seven settled a defamation claim with the man it incorrectly named as the Bondi Junction attacker, reaching an out-of-court settlement on confidential terms.

    Rival network Nine has also seen senior roles depart, including the exit of former news and current affairs boss Darren Wick after multiple allegations of inappropriate behaviour were made against him.

    Wick left the network in March after 29 years at the company, 13 years in the position, and more than a month away from the office. He announced his departure in a staff email seen by Mediaweek, writing: “After many long beach walks and even longer conversations, I know in my heart that this is the right time for me to step down and leave Nine.”

    After Wick’s departure from the network, allegations of inappropriate behaviour surfaced publically, putting pressure on Nine CEO Mike Sneesby, with questions raised about who – if anyone – in management knew of the complaints before Wick’s departure. 

    Peter Costello also stood down as Nine Entertainment’s chairman and resigned as a director, effective immediately in June, three days after an altercation with a News Corp journalist. 

    The journalist Liam Mendes confronted Costello in the arrivals lounge at Canberra Airport on 6 June, asking him questions about ­the allegations against Wick, and whether, as a result, Costello supports Sneesby. 

    Deputy chair Catherine West is now Nine’s chair. 

    The post Seven reporter Robert Ovadia ‘sacked’ after allegations of inappropriate behaviour appeared first on Mediaweek.

    Latest Posts

    - Advertisement -

    Don't Miss

    Stay in touch

    To be updated with all the latest news, offers and special announcements.