Tuesday, July 16, 2024
- Advertisement -
More

    Latest Posts

    Roundup: Matildas’ $200m TV deal, Bruce Lehrmann deadline, Q+A’s future

    Business of Media

    Bruce Lehrmann’s deadline to lodge appeal against findings of failed Federal Court defamation case runs out today

    Today marks the deadline for former Liberal staffer Bruce Lehrmann to lodge an appeal against a ruling in the Federal Court that found on the balance of probabilities he raped Brittany Higgins at Parliament House in 2019, reports the ABC’s Elizabeth Byrne.

    It’s understood he has until 4:30pm today to put in his appeal.

    Lehrmann’s lawyers told the court he was exploring an appeal — and had asked senior lawyers to take it on — weeks ago, and was granted extra time to organise the possible case.

    [Read More]

    David Koch appointed next South Australian Tourism Commission chair

    David Koch, former co-host of Channel 7’s morning news show Sunrise, has been appointed the next chairperson of the South Australian Tourism Commission (SATC), promising to bring an “interstate perspective” to the role after years of contentious campaigns, reports the ABC’s Stephanie Richards.

    The SA government will pay the Sydneysider and current chair of the Port Adelaide Football Club $26,534 each year to chair its independent tourism commission.

    [Read More]

    News Brands

    Nine Entertainment backs CEO, says TV newsroom needs culture rebuild

    Nine Entertainment chairman Peter Costello and the board have backed the company’s chief executive Mike Sneesby but admitted Australia’s biggest media group should do more to prevent bullying and sexual harassment, reports Nine Publishing’s Sam Buckingham-Jones.

    After a board meeting that lasted more than three hours, Costello, Sneesby and Nine’s human resources chief Vanessa Morley told staff that “the conversations we have had in recent days have made it clear that we need to accelerate the work we are doing to build a culture of respect and trust”.

    [Read More]

    Nine star raised privacy concerns at highest level, former CEO says

    One of Nine Entertainment’s on-air stars twice complained to a board member and management about confidential and damaging information about her being given to other media outlets by someone she believed was within the organisation, reports Nine Publishing’s Jacqueline Maley.

    Former Nine chief executive Hugh Marks, who led the company from 2015 to 2021, confirmed the presenter spoke to him directly about the leaking in 2018, when she was in the “crosshairs” of damaging gossip column coverage.

    [Read More]

    ABC boss rejects suggestion it ‘cowered to a News Corp pile-on’ over Laura Tingle comments

    The ABC managing director, David Anderson, has told Senate estimates he believes the attack on the political journalist Laura Tingle this week was a “News Corp pile-on” but denies the broadcaster’s response was “cowering”, reports The Guardian’s Amanda Meade.

    Justin Stevens, the public broadcaster’s news director, said on Wednesday that Tingle’s remarks at the Sydney writers’ festival did not meet the ABC’s editorial standards and that she had been counselled.

    In Senate estimates on Thursday, the Greens senator Sarah Hanson-Young said there were a “lot of people who are angry that Laura Tingle has been thrown under the bus” and asked Anderson if the ABC had “cowered to a News Corp pile-on”.

    [Read More]

    Television

    ABC exploring Q+A future

    ABC is mulling the future of Q+A and whether there is another format which could function in its role of public discourse, reports TV Tonight.

    Speaking yesterday to a Senate Estimates Committee, ABC managing director told Liberal Senator Dave Sharma, “Senator, we’re using that time to think about the program’s future. Look, I think, Q+A as a concept, what is there and what it’s meant to do, is an important one.

    “It’s important that the ABC does that and actually brings people together and holds conversations. We are looking at what it is that we might be able to do for the future… if there is something we can do for that program.”

    [Read More]

    After MasterChef and the UFC, Melissa Leong dives in the deep end

    Melissa Leong has wasted no time in diversifying her portfolio following her exit from MasterChef Australia. After co-hosting the Foxtel and Kayo Sports broadcast of American mixed martial arts competition UFC Fight Week in January, the food critic turned television personality donned scrubs to participate in SBS’ three-part series, The Hospital: In the Deep End, reports Nine Publishing’s Bridget McManus.

    Following in the footsteps of her Singaporean-born mother, a former emergency department nurse unit manager, Leong shadowed staff at St Vincent’s Hospital in Sydney, to find out what night shifts are like for workers in the overstretched health system.

    [Read More]

    Sports Media

    Matildas mania puts Football Australia on verge of $200m TV deal

    The surging popularity of the Matildas looks set to deliver a $200m television broadcast payday for Football Australia, as it nears a record-breaking broadcast deal, reports The Australian’s John Stensholt.

    The governing body’s coffers are rapidly filling from Matildas matches – the team will attract combined sellout crowds of 100,000 for games against China in Adelaide on Friday and Sydney on Monday – and big sponsorship deals with blue-chip corporates such as Commonwealth Bank and Coles.

    FA is in the final stages of negotiations with Network Ten on a four-year extension to the current $100m deal, and The Australian understands the next contract is set to be worth double that.

    [Read More]

    The post Roundup: Matildas’ $200m TV deal, Bruce Lehrmann deadline, Q+A’s future appeared first on Mediaweek.

    Latest Posts

    - Advertisement -

    Don't Miss

    Stay in touch

    To be updated with all the latest news, offers and special announcements.