Sunday, July 21, 2024
- Advertisement -
More

    Latest Posts

    Roundup: Walkleys sponsorship debate, Paul Kent, ARN Media

    Business of Media

    ARN Media’s M&A record holds out for elusive win

    In the week after ARN Media’s tortured bid for Southern Cross looks to have died, the last whispers of deal hopefuls have landed on ARN’s own M&A track record. Its media rival and target, Southern Cross, arguably has a worse one, reports Nine Publishing’s Jemima Whyte.

    It might be because ARN, run by Ciaran Davis and chaired by Hamish McLennan, has made it clear that it still wants the deal, and many investors support the company’s argument that radio needs scale to survive. But paying too much is a risk.

    [Read More]

    Nine news boss Darren Wick resigned after complaint from female staffer

    Nine Entertainment’s most senior news boss left the media company earlier this year following allegations of inappropriate behaviour toward a female staff member, reports The Australian’s Sophie Elsworth and James Madden.

    The network’s director of news and current affairs, Darren Wick, quit his role on March 15 after taking extended leave over summer, issuing a statement in which he told of his exhaustion after “four decades of working as a journalist”, including the past 13 years at the helm of Nine’s news division.

    But what 60-year-old Wick didn’t disclose – and what Nine’s communications department was at pains to distance itself from at the time of his resignation – was that he had recently been the subject of a complaint from a female staff member, who had alleged that the news boss had behaved inappropriately towards her.

    [Read More]

    Nine TV talent aggrieved at special treatment for stars covering Paris Olympics

    The Paris Olympics are only 69 days away and Sunday Confidential hears there’s already tension brewing behind the scenes in the Channel Nine broadcasting team, reports News Corp’s Briana Domjen.

    We hear a few noses are out of joint after Nine chief executive Mike Sneesby let streaming service Stan employ some Olympic stars for a hefty sum, while regular Nine talent “are being paid peanuts”.

    [Read More]

    Walkleys sponsorship debate continues 

    News that the nation’s most prestigious media awards, the Walkleys, and their principal sponsor, Ampol, will part ways when the two-year branding deal expires in October was hardly a surprise, reports The Australian’s Sophie Elsworth and James Madden.

    The writing was on the wall earlier this year when the earnest folks at the journalism prize unit revised its policy to demand that sponsors of the Walkleys must not “pose a significant reputational risk due to the nature of their dealings that offer no tangible benefit to humanity”.

    Which brings us to BHP, another sponsor of the Walkleys. At first glance, is petroleum mob Ampol any better or worse than mining company BHP?

    [Read More]

    Tony O’Reilly, one of Ireland’s leading business figures, dies aged 88

    Tony O’Reilly, one of Ireland’s leading business figures, has died at the age of 88, reports PA Media. 

    O’Reilly, who had a career in the media as well as being an international rugby player for Ireland and the British and Irish Lions, died in St Vincent’s hospital in Dublin on Saturday.

    [Read More]

    Radio

    Kyle Sandilands’ ruthless response to axed radio shows

    Kyle and Jackie O are already responsible for one breakfast show getting the axe, and there are rumours several more are set to follow, reports News Corp’s Andrew Bucklow.

    Speaking exclusively to news.com.au, Kyle and Jackie O claimed they genuinely have no idea how many cities they’ll be broadcasting into next year.

    “That’s still open for discussion, because people have those jobs,” Kyle said.

    “I really think if we do real well in Melbourne, let’s say it’s half as successful as Sydney, then they’re just gonna have to roll it all out (nationally).”

    [Read More]

    Craig Reucassel’s failed ABC tag game is a touchy subject

    It’s the radio equivalent of the universal human fear of throwing a party and no one turning up. What happens if you launch a radio competition and no one enters, asks The Australian’s Sophie Elsworth and James Madden.?

    It’s the radio equivalent of the universal human fear of throwing a party and no one turning up. What happens if you launch a radio competition and no one enters?

    Last week, Diary brought you the news of ABC Sydney breakfast host Craig Reucassel’s promotion of the “biggest game of tag, ever”. Yes, a radio game of tag.

    [Read More]

    Sports Media

    Court case shines light on Paul Kent’s demons

    The pile-on after Paul Kent asked for a delay in his court case so he can seek treatment for mental health and drinking problems has been significant and unsurprising, reports Nine Publishing’s Danny Weidler.

    The reasoning will be outlined later but, on face value, it would be hypocritical to question the validity of Kent’s decision. It would, in fact, be Kent-like.

    Fox Sports NRL host and Daily Telegraph journalist Kent, 54, and a 35-year-old man were both charged with affray after a drinking session at an inner-west pub ended with an altercation outside another hotel.

    [Read More]

    The post Roundup: Walkleys sponsorship debate, Paul Kent, ARN Media appeared first on Mediaweek.

    Latest Posts

    - Advertisement -

    Don't Miss

    Stay in touch

    To be updated with all the latest news, offers and special announcements.