Monday, May 27, 2024
- Advertisement -
More

    Latest Posts

    NRL 360 co-host Paul Kent ‘stood down’ again after video shared of alleged pub fight

    Journalist Paul Kent has been suspended from his roles at The Daily Telegraph and Fox Sports. It comes after a video of what appears to be a street brawl was shared on social media overnight.

    A short statement from News Corp Australia said: “Fox Sports presenter and News Corp Australia columnist Paul Kent has been stood down pending an immediate investigation.”

    Neither the publisher of Kent has commented any further.

    News Corp reported that the video in question was filmed outside Totti’s restaurant in the Sydney suburb of Rozelle.

    Daily Mail Australia was in no doubt what was happening on the video. Its headline this morning reads:
    Paul Kent fight video: Wild moment controversial footy commentator becomes embroiled in shocking brawl outside Sydney pub

    The video was shown by a number of media outlets today, including Weekend Today.

    Over the past two years, Kent has been at the centre of a number of controversies.

    NRL 360 co-host Paul Kent ‘stood down’ again after video shared of alleged pub fight

    Triple M departure

    Two years ago on May 9, radio personality Anthony Maroon quit Triple M’s NRL Sunday team following his on-air walkout the week before.

    At the time Mediaweek reported:

    A week earlier, ahead of the Round 8 clash between the Dragons and Tigers, Maroon became increasingly frustrated over jokes made by co-hosts, Paul Kent, James Hooper, and Gorden Tallis, at his expense about the Australian Taxation Office.

    Maroon eventually walked out of the studio, mid-program, forcing Kent to anchor the rest of the show.

    He prepared a pre-recorded farewell which was played on Sunday ahead of Melbourne’s win over the Dragons, which said “After seven or eight years on the show I’ve decided that’s it for me.”

    On May 10, Paul Kent wrote an article for The Daily Telegraph firing back at “social justice hypocrites backing Anthony Maroon.”

    Kent wrote, “What has followed Maroon’s walkout two Sundays ago since is a solid distortion of facts where Maroon has somehow emerged as a sympathetic victim of bullying, which suggests a man attacked without the ability to defend himself,” wrote Paul Kent.

    “Most allegations have come from those who have never listened to the show or who don’t have an understanding of what happens every week, making their accusations naive.

    “Maroon’s fear of the Australian Tax Office, and that he loved cash jobs, was a consistent joke on the show.”

    2023 court appearance

    Kent was previously stood down from his roles at News Corp in 2023 after being charged with assaulting ex-girlfriend.

    As the court case got underway, Guardian Australia reported:

    Outside court, Kent said he was “embarrassed” about the charges but was “looking forward to the full story coming out”.
    “It’s just the rugby league soap opera. [That’s] the way it rolls,” he said.
    “It’s my day in the storyline right now and that’s fine. People are entitled to their opinions.”
    Kent said his employers, the Daily Telegraph and Fox Sports, “fully support” him.
    “I don’t think my career is over,” he said.

    Reporting on the outcome of the case, Fox Sports said:
    Sports journalist Paul Kent has been found not guilty of allegations he attacked and choked his then-partner at his home in Sydney’s inner west.
    Following a two-day hearing in Sydney’s Downing Centre Local Court, Magistrate Daniel Rees told the court he could not find the charges proven beyond reasonable doubt.

    After the court case at the end of 2023, The Sydney Morning Herald reported on comments made by Kent outside the courthouse:

    Outside court, Kent told reporters the case had been costly and “a big setback”, and had “caused significant reputational damage”.
    “I’ve been vindicated today. The judge accepted what happened,” he said.
    “I’ve been unable to do any kind of work.
    “It’s been seven months I’ve had to sit there and feel like I’ve been unfairly arrested [and] unfairly charged. I’ve had to sit there and have our public reputation lacerated by people who have used it as an opportunity.”

    Paul Kent with his NRL 360 colleagues in Las Vegas

    Paul Kent’s return to television in Las Vegas

    Kent returned to his regular duties for The Daily Telegraph and Fox League during the week the NRL played two matches in Las Vegas.

    He appeared on the NRL 360 episodes recorded in the casino city that week. There was no comment on air about his return to the show. However, the fans watching the show from the audience welcomed him back with calls of “welcome back Kenty” which he acknowledged from the set.

    Speaking to Mediaweek after the broadcast of the first episode from Las Vegas, Kent indicated he didn’t have anything to say about recent controversies.

    He wanted to distance himself from stories about Paul Kent and focus on football. That seemed to be the plan he was following with some success…until now.

    See also:

    Paul Kent back on TV, returning to NRL360 for Las Vegas opening round

    Paul Kent finds a new line of work as he awaits December court date

    “I’ve been vindicated”: Paul Kent found not guilty of assault

    The post NRL 360 co-host Paul Kent ‘stood down’ again after video shared of alleged pub fight appeared first on Mediaweek.

    Latest Posts

    - Advertisement -

    Don't Miss

    Stay in touch

    To be updated with all the latest news, offers and special announcements.