As social marketers are looking to get more eyes on their content, one of the biggest questions at the forefront is: what is the best time to post on Facebook? Is there a definitive answer to that question? Well, it depends on several factors. Your business’s industry, your target audience, business goals and the content itself all play a role in the success of your social posts.
With the help of our Data Science team, we’ve been able to analyze nearly 2 billion social media engagements across 400,000 social profiles across Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, Pinterest and TikTok. And even more, we’re able to provide an analysis of the best times to post on Facebook.
As the most-used platform by marketers worldwide and boasting nearly 3 billion monthly active users, there’s no denying Facebook’s staying power. With a large opportunity for engagement, it’s important to understand how posting on Facebook at the right times will benefit your social media content strategy.
Learn how to identify your best times to post on Facebook with a free trial of Sprout Social and test our ViralPost® feature.
Start a free Sprout Social trial
Disclaimer: Data from Sprout Social include users from various plan types, industries and locations. All time frames are recorded globally, meaning you should be able to publish with the times provided in any timezone and see positive engagement results. Number of engagements represents total engagements a brand received on the specific channel during that hour time frame. Industry-specific data includes mid- to high-level engagement times. We recommend testing with your own accounts to find the most optimal send times.
- What are the best times to post on Facebook?
- What are the best times to post on Facebook by industry?
- How to find your own best times to post on social media
- How Sprout gathered the data
- Find your best times to post with Sprout
Best Times to Post on Facebook
- Best times to post on Facebook:
- Mondays from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Tuesdays from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Wednesdays from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Thursdays from 8 a.m. to noon
- Best days to post on Facebook: Mondays through Thursdays
- Worst days to post on Facebook: Sundays
Don’t look alarmed. Facebook is still the most used platform by marketers worldwide at 90%, and it doesn’t seem to be going anywhere. We’ve seen an interesting shift in most engagement times matching general business hours versus very early morning hours in recent years. What does this mean for marketers?
Optimal send times for Facebook are Mondays through Thursdays starting at 8 a.m. until early afternoon, generally 1 p.m. The only “off” hours for posting on Facebook are very early hours on Fridays through Mondays, generally midnight until 4 a.m.
With a solid Facebook marketing strategy, businesses can target the right audiences at the right time with their content. Keep in mind, engagement also has to do with how often you post on social media and what you post. Not all social content translates well across every social media platform. Posting the right content on the right platform makes a difference.
Best Times to Post on Facebook by Industry
Remember, while we’d like to believe there’s a definitive answer to what the best times to post on Facebook are, we can only offer insight with the data we have. Industry is just one factor that plays into the success of your social posts.
Use this industry-level data to help inform your publishing calendar, and test your optimal send times with social experiments.
Best Times to Post on Facebook for Consumer Goods
- Best times to post on Facebook for Consumer Goods:
- Mondays at 7 p.m.
- Tuesdays from 6 to 8 p.m.
- Fridays from 6 to 8 p.m.
- Best days to post on Facebook for Consumer Goods: Mondays
- Worst days to post on Facebook for Consumer Goods: None, generally speaking
The consumer goods industry covers a large portfolio of products, ranging from packaged food and beverages to clothing and accessories and everything in between. While the US was facing inflation at nearly 8.5%, US consumers spent 18% more in March 2022 than they did two years prior. After two years into the pandemic, consumers were ready to spend similar to their pre-pandemic habits.
With the increase in spending habits, consumer goods’ social media engagements also grew. For consumer goods businesses on Facebook, every single day saw solid engagement after 7 a.m. That’s right: weekdays and weekends. For peak engagement, Mondays at 7 p.m. and Tuesdays and Fridays from 6 to 8 p.m. are optimal times for this industry.
Consumer goods social media resources
- Solutions for Social Commerce
- How to master social media for retail and win more customers
- What is social commerce? Stats, examples & tips for your strategy
- Mobile commerce: what it is and why you should care
Best Times to Post on Facebook for Hospitals & Healthcare
- Best times to post on Facebook for Hospitals & Healthcare:
- Mondays from 9 a.m. to noon and 1 to 8 p.m.
- Tuesdays from 9 a.m. to noon and 1 to 8 p.m.
- Wednesdays from 9 a.m. to noon and 6 to 8 p.m.
- Thursdays from 9 a.m. to noon and 4 to 7 p.m.
- Fridays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 7 p.m.
- Best days to post on Facebook for Hospitals & Healthcare: Mondays and Tuesdays
- Worst days to post on Facebook for Hospitals & Healthcare: Weekends, relatively
Hospitals, clinics and healthcare providers have been put to work on social media the last few years, due to the pandemic. But, social media for healthcare is more than navigating healthcare crises. It’s about educating the public, helping patients feel more comfortable with healthcare visits and doctors’ appointments, promoting their programs for aspiring physicians and establishing themselves as pillars in the community.
Best times to post on Facebook for healthcare and hospitals expands compared to last year. Every single day sees solid engagement around 7 a.m., both weekdays and weekends. Yet, peak posting times on Facebook for hospitals are weekdays from 9 a.m. through noon (through 1 p.m. on Fridays only), and Monday and Tuesday afternoons from 1 to 8 p.m. Evening hours are equally engaging Wednesdays through Fridays.
Hospital and healthcare social media resources
- Social media and healthcare: how to keep patients engaged
- Why healthcare orgs should invest in social listening, stat
- Supporting HIPAA Compliance on social: a cheat sheet
Best Times to Post on Facebook for Hospitality
- Best times to post on Facebook for Hospitality:
- Mondays from noon to 9 p.m.
- Tuesdays from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Wednesdays from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Thursdays from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Fridays at 3 p.m. and 6 to 8 p.m.
- Best days to post on Facebook for Hospitality: Mondays through Thursdays
- Worst days to post on Facebook for Hospitality: Sundays, relatively
What an impressive jump in posting and engagement from the hospitality industry! Consumers see some semblance of pre-pandemic life and brands sense it. Compared to the year prior, the hospitality went full-force with posting on social media and they saw a return on their efforts throughout most of the day.
You can’t go wrong posting anytime after 10 a.m. on most weekdays and still find significant engagement. However, peak times last for several hours until about 8 or 9 p.m. While weekends are relatively light in engagement for hospitality businesses, there’s still moderate engagement where posts are still being noticed and interacted with.
Hospitality social media resources
- Social media marketing tools for the travel industry
- How Allegiant Air’s customer relations team is taking flight with Sprout Social
- How Loews Hotels & Co succeeds at scale with Sprout Social’s all-in-one platform
- When to create separate social media accounts for your multilocation business [Free Worksheet]
Best Times to Post on Facebook for Media
- Best times to post on Facebook for Media:
- Mondays from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Tuesdays from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Wednesdays from 6 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Thursdays at 11 a.m.
- Best days to post on Facebook for Media: Tuesdays and Wednesdays
- Worst days to post on Facebook for Media: Weekends, relatively
Engagement for the media and entertainment industry also see a resurgence on Facebook last year. Audiences could be checking into the app for longer sessions rather than quick visits throughout the day, or it could be multiple quick check-ins and algorithm newsfeed refreshes that are manipulating the higher engagements. Major global events, political upheavals and business news have had a relevant impact on media impressions on all networks.
As it goes, news travels quickly, and the best times to post on Facebook for the media and entertainment industry are Mondays from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m., Tuesdays from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m., Wednesdays from 6 a.m. to 1 p.m., and Thursdays at 11 a.m. However, there is still solid engagement in the early evenings in the first half of the week.
Media social media resources
- How to supercharge your media relations strategy with social
- How RADIO.COM used social listening to crown the #ArtistOfTheSummer
- Social media and journalism: how to effectively reach the public
Best Times to Post on Facebook for Nonprofit
- Best times to post on Facebook for Nonprofit:
- Mondays from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Tuesdays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Wednesdays from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Best days to post on Facebook for Nonprofit: Mondays through Wednesdays, but especially on Tuesdays
- Worst days to post on Facebook for Nonprofit: Sundays
Compared to last year’s data, there’s been a significant increase in Facebook activity for nonprofits. Our data for the best times to post on Facebook for nonprofits shows solid Facebook engagement throughout the week during general business hours as well as midday on weekends. Mondays and Wednesdays from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. and Tuesdays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. are the best times to post on Facebook for nonprofits.
However, even with the consistent audience engagement seen in the heatmap above, all businesses need to test their own best times to post. Whether it’s through social testing or using Sprout’s Optimal Send Times feature, find what times work best for your organization on Facebook.
Nonprofit social media resources
- Turning moments into momentum: How nonprofits can leverage #GivingTuesday year-round
- How this nonprofit institute boosts messaging reach with Employee Advocacy by Sprout Social
- The ultimate social media for museums guide
Best Times to Post on Facebook for Restaurants
- Best times to post on Facebook for Restaurants:
- Mondays from 10 a.m. to noon
- Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays at 11 a.m.
- Best days to post on Facebook for Restaurants: Mondays and Wednesdays
- Worst days to post on Facebook for Restaurants: Weekends, relatively
In 2022, everyone was ready to get back to their pre-pandemic routines, and restaurants were ready with open doors. While online orders and delivery services may have become new offerings for some locations, the desire to draw patrons has not. And restaurants saw nearly 2x more engagements on Facebook than last year’s analysis.
Those in the bar and restaurant industry see consistent engagement between 8 a.m. and 7 p.m. almost every single day. The best times to post for restaurants on Facebook though are just before or around lunchtime: Mondays from 10 a.m. to noon and Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays at 11 a.m.
Different platforms offer a unique way for businesses to connect with their customers. Target audience and their social media platform preferences also play a factor in this. Offering unique promotions and updates suited for each platform will keep your restaurant in mind for potential customers.
Restaurant social media resources
- The complete guide to social media for restaurants & bars
- 5 tips from the man behind #Sprinklegate
- Auntie Anne’s SMM Bari’s TikTok Bootcamp [Webinar]
Best Times to Post on Facebook for Schools & Education
- Best times to post on Facebook for Schools & Education:
- Mondays from 9 a.m. to noon
- Tuesdays from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Wednesdays from 9 a.m. to noon
- Thursdays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Fridays at 10 a.m.
- Best days to post on Facebook for Schools & Education: Mondays through Wednesdays
- Worst days to post on Facebook for Schools & Education: Weekends
There was no slowing down for universities, higher education institutions and schools on Facebook. Keep in mind that some schools manage multiple social profiles (per college, athletics, etc.) to meet these needs and effectively target distinct audiences at the right time. Research by BestColleges reports that 60% of remote learners expect to enroll in online courses even after campuses return to normal and 90% of online program graduates would recommend online learning to others.
High opportunities for engagement start midmorning and go throughout the day, but the best times to post on Facebook for education are Mondays through Thursdays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. and on Fridays at 10 a.m.
From highlighting student life to sharing school updates, a social media strategy for education needs to fulfill multiple functions. Are you looking to engage with students past, present and future? Are you looking to keep a pulse on sentiment and brand health?
Schools and education social media resources
- Choose wisely: Higher education marketers take on College Decision Day
- How higher education social media has evolved in Europe
- All aboard: How Purdue University increased their social media engagement by 24%
- University branding: How to build your school’s brand on social media
- Higher ed playbook: Using social to unite your university
Best Times to Post on Facebook for Travel & Tourism
- Best times to post on Facebook for Travel & Tourism:
- Mondays from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Tuesdays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Wednesdays from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Thursdays from 10 a.m. to noon
- Best days to post on Facebook for Travel & Tourism: Mondays and Tuesdays
- Worst days to post on Facebook for Travel & Tourism: Sundays
Travel and tourism industries nearly double their engagement on Facebook. As many travel restrictions continued to be lifted and the semblance of “normal” crept back into many peoples’ lives, travel and tourism businesses saw an opportunity to capitalize on the suppressed desires to travel.
The best times to post on Facebook for travel and tourism brands are earlier in the week: Mondays and Tuesdays from 9 a.m. until about 2 or 3 p.m., as well as on Wednesdays from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. and Thursdays from 10 a.m. to noon. In general, on Facebook, there is significant engagement midday and early in the week for travel and tourism, as people are preparing for their weekend destinations.
Travel and tourism social media resources
- How Allegiant Air’s customer relations team is taking flight with Sprout Social
- How to manage multiple social media accounts
- When to Create Separate Social Media Accounts for your Multilocation Business [Free Worksheet]
How to find your own best times to post on social media
Social marketers can plan content more effectively when they’re armed with data. And as platforms evolve, how brands and consumers use social will evolve with them, or vice versa. Staying aware of new content formats and trends might help you reach your audience in unexpected ways, or even find new segments and personas you weren’t focusing on before.
While you may be ready to jump in and post at these provided peak engagement times as part of your strategy, consider pairing this data with your own social media data analysis. You may discover that your specific target audience is active near the peak times we’ve outlined or hours earlier.
A social media management tool like Sprout Social can help you drill into your analytics and develop tailored findings for your brand accounts across all networks, holistically and individually. Gain competitive insights by comparing your performance to your competitors, to find new opportunities for engagement.
With features like post tagging and cross-network reporting, you can separate different factors like post author or types of content, and drill down into how your posting time influenced your social success.
Sprout’s patented ViralPost® technology uses the same data we’ve used to look at all our customer accounts to determine the best time to post tailored for your account. ViralPost® algorithmically determines the results for our Optimal Send Times feature, a publishing option available in all plans. Our proprietary machine learning feature isn’t new, but we’re constantly learning and improving our product to help brands surface insights faster. Our goal is to help people who use our product work more effectively.
With Optimal Send Times, the specific times offered are based on when your audience engages the most using your publishing history. ViralPost® also continually updates and refines to save you time from doing the repeated analysis and allowing you more time to craft great content.
Want to see it in action? Sign up for a free 30-day trial of Sprout Social or request a personalized demo and try it for yourself.
Start a free Sprout Social trial
If you’re looking for more of our findings from this year’s study of our customer data, see what we learned about the best times to post across eight industries on these networks:
- Best times to post on Social Media 2023
- Best times to post on Instagram 2023
- Best times to post on LinkedIn 2023
- Best times to post on TikTok 2023
- Best times to post on Twitter 2023
How Sprout gathered the data
We understand that these reports can raise questions about just where the data is coming from. That’s why we want to be clear about the data we pulled and how we got here.
Sprout Social’s Data Science team gathers this information by analyzing nearly 2 billion engagements across 400,000 social profiles across Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, Pinterest and TikTok.
Find your best time to post with Sprout
Now’s the time to test your content calendar. Are you posting when your followers are most active? Start your free trial of Sprout Social and discover the best times to post on social media today.
The post Best times to post on Facebook in 2023 appeared first on Sprout Social.